Monday, May 9, 2011

Women's Creed

I believe that I am created in the divine image, that my body and spirit are holy.
The God who dwells in all creation lives in the inmost depths of my being.

I believe that I am loved by God just as I am, without conditions or demands that I be more. I am enough.
This love sustains me when I am in dought and upholds me when I fail.

I believe that God desires my freedom and wholeness, the full expression of my talents. I need not live by the values of others, nor silence my self to please them. I can let my own voice ring out, my own song be sung. I can trust what I feel and know, living out of my own deepest truth.

I believe in the power of women to heal and love, to seek truth and justice. This faith is strenghtened when I remember the women throughout time who have used their power and gifts to change the world: Sarah, who answered God's call; Esther and Deborah, who saved a nation; Mary Magdalene and the other women, who announced the resurrection in the face of skepticism.

I believe that my gifts and strengths are for cherishing myself, others, and the world. The more I care for myself, the better I will be able to care for all living beings.

~Kathleen Fischer and Thomas Hart, A Counselor's Prayer Book. (Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press, 1994) 90-91.

No comments:

Post a Comment