Monday, March 21, 2011

Restoring Wholeness


This spiritual practice is described in the book made for goodness and why this makes all the difference by Desmond Tutu and his daughter, Mpho Tutu.

...pick up a stone.  It should be one with some heft and texture.  But it should not be too large.  It should be something that fits easily into the palm of the hand.  For a whole day, keep that stone about your person.  Tell the stone the whole story of the outrage, in as much detail as you can recall.  Throughout the day, if you find your mind returning to the hurt, hold the stone and tell that stone your thoughts and feelings.  At the end of the day, find a sacred space to set the stone down...  perhaps in a churchyard, under a favorite tree, or near a river.  As you set the stone down, set down the burden of hurt that you have been carrying.  Know that the burden is in a safe place; you can reclaim it if you need it.  But know also that you don’t have to carry it.  Laying down the burden of pain is one way of returning to goodness. It is a gift that we can give to ourselves...

We do not need to carry the burdens of the world.  Thanks be to the One who is the Maker of All Life and the Source of All Love!

Posted by Sharon Copeman

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Sharon. I do a version of this exercise almost everytime time I go walking -- *but* without getting rid of the rock at the end of the walk. (I carry a stone in my pocket as I walk and think, simply because I find its weight and smoothness soothing. Then I leave it in my pocket for next time). I must say, I've grown attached to that rock. Hhhmmm?? Perhaps I've also grown attached to my cares and worries? The symbolism of setting the stone down is powerful, and I will do just that starting today!

    -terry

    ReplyDelete