Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Song in my Spirit This Week

I’ve been soaking in the comfort and assurance of Psalm 91 this week, as I listen to the news and wait and wonder what would happen to my Air Canada flight on Friday, taking me to Ethiopia to build houses with Habitat for Humanity.  These words of the Psalmist, set to music by Michael Joncas, fill my spirit.  If you know the tune, let it soak into your spirit, with words of assurance - no matter what - God is our shelter and strength - in the midst of everything!
You who dwell in the shelter of our God, who abide in this shadow for life, say to the Lord: “My refuge, my Rock in whom I trust!”
And God replies - “And I will raise you up on eagle’s wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of my hand.”
The snare of the fowler will never capture you, and famine will bring you no fear: under God’s wings your refuge, God’s faithfulness your shield.
“And I will raise you up on eagle’s wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of my hand.”
You need not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day; though thousands fall about you, near you it shall not come.
“And I will raise you up on eagle’s wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of my hand.”
For to God’s angels is given a command to guard you in all of your ways; upon their hands they will bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.”
This refrain sings itself in my soul - and I am made strong as I let God’s message soak in... “I will raise you up on eagle’s wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of my hand.”
Sharon Copeman

No comments:

Post a Comment